hide website

Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117
Menu

Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117
Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland.
Within the Province of Glasgow

Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117

The History in chronological order from 1900 to 1946

Next Page
1   2   3   
Previous Page
1900 30th June: New Ballot Box presented to the Lodge by Brothers John Ferguson and Charles Robertson.
5th September: First mention of a visit from Dumbarton Kilwinning Lodge No 18.
5th December: First Benevolent Committee formed. On the same evening a collection for Grand Lodge was taken, £1 pound six shilling and eight and halfpence (a sad reflection on present day efforts).
1901 20th January: Lodge ordered three months of mourning upon the death of Queen Victoria.
1902 April: Two members, Brothers George Stewart and Archibald Dow, were among those killed in the Ibrox disaster.
1906 October: Bazaar held to raise money to pay off debts on the Douglas Street Hall, the sum of £716 Pounds five shillings and one and a half pence clear profit being made.
1907 28th May: Entered into the existing premises at 92 Dumbarton Road. Consecration 16th September 1908.
1910 June: Lodge ordered into mourning for six months upon the death of King Edward VII.
1911  February: Reference made at the meeting that the Lodge had among its members one who was rightly presumed to be the oldest Past Master in Scotland , if not in the British Isles, namely Past Master Alexander Speirs, sixty seven years a member, and sixty years a Past Master. In this year also, the Lodge was once again successful in the Provincial Bowling Competition.
1912 3rd December: An Oak Desk and Tripod Stand was presented to the Lodge by Past Master John Smith.
1916 6th September: It was decreed by Grand Lodge that a Committee of Enquiry be set up in each Lodge to report on every application for membership.
1919 30th April: Fifty four (54) Entered Apprentices passed to the Fellowcraft Degree at one meeting; 294 Initiates entered during the year. The Terjubilee of the granting of the Charter was held taking the form of dinner held in the Burgh Hall, Maxwell Street, about 400 being present. This year also marked the Tercentenary of the early Lodge Room Build; in 1619, in which St Mary's Lodge met in the early days.
1919 1st December: Grand Lodge Law introduced which ordered that no more than seven candidates could be initiated in any of the degrees on the same day.
1921 5th October: Memorial Service and unveiling of the Roll of Honour by Past Master Alexander Bell, the oldest living Past Master of the Lodge.
1925 20th May: Sir Ian Colquhoun of Luss made an Honorary Member of the Lodge upon the occasion of his heading a deputation from Dumbarton Kilwinning Lodge No 18.
1931 ‐ 1932 Winners of the Provincial Bowling Trophy.
1945 3rd June: Joint Masonic Divine Service of Thanksgiving in the Old Partick Parish Church by Brother John A Macrae, MA (Oxon), Senior Chaplain of Partick St Mary's, and Provincial Grand Chaplain.
1946 3rd October. Memorial Service and unveiling of Bronze Plaque by Brother John Mathews Past Master.

Next Page
1   2   3   
Previous Page
Lodge Syllabus
  • 5th September

    TBC
  • 19th September

    TBC
  • 3rd October

    TBC
  • 17th October

    Nomination & Election
  • 7th November

    TBC
  • 21st November

    A.G.M. & Memorial Service
  • 5th December

    Installation at 6.45pm
  • 19th December

    TBC
  • 2nd January

    TBC
  • 16th January

    TBC


Lodge Visitations