hide website

Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117
Menu

Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117
Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland.
Within the Province of Glasgow

Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117

The History of Partick St Mary's Lodge No 117, part three

Next Page
1   2   3   
Previous Page

Better influences gradually prevailed, however, and in 1855 we find a number of the members binding themselves to try to improve the Lodge, mention actually being made of the attempt to enable Brethren who were total abstainers to hold office.  Also, the Lodge was not to be transferred from labour to refreshment, but to be closed as soon as Masonic business was finished.

In 1856, a tremendous improvement in the affairs of the Lodge did take place, from which it has gone from strength to strength. This was almost entirely due to the Secretary, one Thomas McKell Campbell who seems to have been especially chosen by the Brethren, as he became Secretary only one month after his initiation.

Realizing that drastic measures were needed, he took the calculated risk (against the Charter) of shifting the place of meeting of the Lodge to his home at 7 Carrick Street Glasgow, changing the name to "St Mary's Partick and Glasgow Lodge No 117". He let out the old Lodge Room (one shilling and sixpence for the first hour, and one shilling per hour thereafter). In January 1857 he instituted an Instruction Class, inviting eminent members from other Lodges to lecture. He cut down Harmonies. In November 1858 he instituted a Sick Fund, the members contributing one penny per week. He also arranged for the RWM of the Lodge Cannongate and Leith to act as Proxy Master for St Mary's in Grand Lodge in Edinburgh.

During 1859 some meetings were being held in the Masonic Hall, 57 Hutcheson Street, Glasgow, but in June 1860, after repeated warnings, the Lodge was suspended by Provincial Grand Lodge. The Lodge transferred back to Partick, to 151 Dumbarton Road, to what was known as Brother James Craig's Hall.

The Lodge has moved twice since then. In 1875 the Memorial Stone was laid for a new hall (which consisted of the upper floor of a building built in Douglas Street) by the local schoolmaster and then RWM, Brother Wylie. The ground and first floor were to be used as a school, and the upper floor as a Lodge Room. During the ceremony, the Depute Grand Master, Brother Robert Barrow, pointed out the fact that there was not one Lodge in the Province which met in a Hall in any way connected with a Hotel or Public House: a tremendous step over the last twenty five years when previously the Public House and Masonry were synonymous.

On the 28th May 1908, the Lodge moved to its present premises at 92 Dumbarton Road, the Consecration service being held on the 16th September, 1908.

At its foundation, the fees of the Lodge were five shillings on Initiation, two shillings and sixpence on Passing, and two shillings and sixpence on Raising. These fees were paid either by cash or by bill. As very few paid cash, there is a long history of attempts to get members to settle their bills. On 11th February 1803 a committee was appointed to correct and amend the articles and regulations of the Lodge. The most important of these were as follows:

(1) When funds reached thirty pounds, the said sum was to be reserved as a stock and not in any way to be diminished.

East end of the Lodge after decoratation

(2) Each new member to pay eleven shillings entry, and five shillings each for Passing and Raising, together with a fee of one shilling per quarter, with a fine of one penny for each quarter missed. Arrears lasting beyond eight years would require a payment of eight shillings before re-admittance could be obtained, such delinquents not being over the age of 45.

(3) No person to be admitted under the age of 16 or over the age of 35; such a person to be of sound and healthy constitution, free from bodily disease, capable of earning his daily substance by his own industry, of good moral character, and his age properly attested.

(4) Sick benefit to be paid from the funds (after the thirty pounds had been gathered) at the rate of four shillings weekly for a Master Mason, and two shillings and sixpence weekly for a Fellowcraft, or Entered Apprentice. Elderly, or infirm members to be paid to shillings per week at least; also the same to Widows of deceased Brethren if in distressed circumstances. The sum of one pound ten shillings to be paid towards funeral expenses.  All such benefits only to be paid if the members were or had been cleared in the Books.

(5) The Master and Office Bearers were obliged to attend the funeral of a Brother without relations who died within three statute miles of Partick. Failure to do so without sufficient reason to result in the payment of a fine of one shilling from the Master and sixpence from the Office Bearers.

(6) No members were to be allowed to vote or allowed to hold office who had not paid their quarterly accounts.

(7) No Fellowcrafts or Entered Apprentices were to be allowed into office, although they were entitled to vote in elections or any other business.

(8) Bad behaviour within the Lodge, such as swearing or intoxication, was to carry a fine of sixpence for each offence, and if persisted in, expulsion from the meeting. In the event of any serious misdemeanour likely to bring odium or reproach on the Lodge or Masonry generally, permanent expulsion would result, with the consequent loss of all benefits.

(9) Affiliates would be admitted on the payment of a sum of eight shillings, thereafter coming under the same rules as other members of the Lodge.

These rules, good as they were, do not seem to have succeeded in persuading the members to pay their dues, for on March 11th 1825 we read that it was agreed that everyone at this entry should pay the full dues for passing and Raising (as the Glasgow Lodges are doing) and that it was to be made a Bye-Law binding the RWM to settle with the Grand Secretary every year.  Members behind with their accounts should be made clear members upon payment of one shilling.

Despite item 9, we find that only seven days later, two Entered Apprentices were passed to Fellowcraft and raised Master Masons and their accounts settled by bill.

Next Page
1   2   3   
Previous Page
Lodge Syllabus
  • 5th September

    TBC
  • 19th September

    TBC
  • 3rd October

    TBC
  • 17th October

    Nomination & Election
  • 7th November

    TBC
  • 21st November

    A.G.M. & Memorial Service
  • 5th December

    Installation at 6.45pm
  • 19th December

    TBC
  • 2nd January

    TBC
  • 16th January

    TBC


Lodge Visitations